Trends quickly burst onto the scene, making it tough to stay on top of viral content and jump in at the right time. Luckily, there are several free tools, like Google Trends and others, to help you stay on the pulse of trends within your niche.
But finding trends is just the first step. Knowing what to do with trending content and how to make it work for your business is what will set you apart from your competition.
Now you discovered the power of Google Trends and have used the platform to:
- See what’s trending
- Customize search data by region, time, and category
- Explore search results on various platforms (Web search, image search, news search, YouTube, and Google Shopping)
- Find related topics and queries
- Measure and compare popular search terms
- Analyze the best times to publish and promote trends and seasonal topics
Today, we’re going to walk through some practical steps you can take to use trends to increase your traffic and revenue.
1. Use trends to create new content
Once you uncover insightful data in Google Trends, let’s put it to good use by creating new content for your website.
When you search for a topic in Google Trends, it gives you related topics and queries. This data is a great place to discover new keyword ideas related to your search term that are rising in popularity so you can create fresh content.
Example: bread and butter pickle recipe
Let’s say you have a food site. It’s important to know what recipes you should plan for that will not only whet your reader’s appetite but also capture Google search interest before there’s too much competition.
When you search “recipe” and look under related queries, you see the term “bread and butter pickle recipe” is rising.
You have pickle recipes on your site, but you don’t have a recipe for that keyword, so you create a new recipe post on bread and butter pickles.
But the work doesn’t stop there.
Your goal for creating a new post using the keyword “bread and butter pickle recipe” is to publish and promote the post before the keyword reaches its peak so you can maximize early traffic to that keyword.
After choosing the trending topic or keyword for your new post, you want to use an SEO content optimization tool to make your content more competitive.
Once your new recipe is published, consider the following steps to boost your chances of dominating search results for your target keyword:
- Link to your latest post from your other pickle recipes
- Create a listicle of your pickle recipes with your bread and butter pickle post as the highlight
- Consider adding video to your post or convert your content into videos for Reels, TikTok, WebStories, and more
- Promote your content on social media
- Highlight your new content in your email newsletter
If your end goal is to increase traffic and revenue, hopping on a trend and creating new content is a great way to make that happen.
2. Use trends to revive and republish old content
Google loves fresh content, so it’s important to give old posts a refresh.
Reviving old blog content is one of the easiest and most effective ways to use trending topics and maximize traffic opportunities.
Here are some tips for using trends to give older content a refresh:
- Optimize your existing content with an SEO tool like Topic
- Find long-tail and related keywords associated with your trending topic
- Research competitors who rank for the trending search term and see how you can fill in the gaps and make your post more valuable for the reader
- Familiarize yourself with the reader’s search intent for that keyword and find questions people are asking about the topic so you can answer them in your post
Once you’ve perfected your post content, republish it with a current publication date so that Google will know that it’s fresh content. Then you can promote the content on social media and in your email newsletter.
If your goal is to work smarter, not harder, focus on using trends to revive old blog posts!
Take advantage of trends for video
We all know video is the future, and it’s a great way to offer readers more value.
If you have a presence on YouTube or have videos on your website, using trending data in your video strategy is key to growing this channel.
When you create a video on a trending topic before there’s too much competition, you have a strong chance of capturing the top spot in search results for that topic!
Example: Kylie Cosmetics makeup tutorial
Let’s say you’re a beauty blogger who also has a presence on YouTube. After doing a general search for “cosmetics” under the YouTube search on Google Trends, you see Kylie Cosmetics and simple makeup tutorial are two rising keywords.
Kylie Cosmetics is also a breakout topic (the search term grew more than 5,000%). So, to capitalize on these rising topics, do a simple makeup video tutorial using Kylie Cosmetics.
This example is perfect because you can combine two rising topics in one video — a double win and another creative way to rank for one or both of these rising keywords.
Use YouTube Trends and Popular on YouTube reports
Another way to leverage trending content is by keeping up with YouTube Trends (trends by country) and Popular on YouTube (worldwide trends). Staying on top of trending YouTube content will quickly help you develop great content related to hot topics that appeal to your target audience.
You can use the same strategy for your website videos — producing video content around trends is a great way to get your brand noticed and increase your viewership!
3. Boost affiliate marketing revenue with trends
Does your affiliate marketing strategy need a boost? Trends can help you discover new affiliate opportunities to add value to your content and increase your revenue.
If you’re looking for valuable affiliate opportunities for your business, you’ll want to add Think With Google to your digital tool belt.
To capitalize on the best affiliate opportunities, Think With Google’s Rising Retail Categories section is a great place to track consumer behavior, trending retail categories, and search terms associated with those categories.
You can see top trending retail categories, top growing queries for each, and search insights by region.
Think With Google also provides consumer insights and seasonal articles on topics like what to expect from shoppers this back-to-school season. These articles are a great way to keep up with consumer news and trends, so you know how to incorporate them into your affiliate marketing strategy!
But how do you use this data to boost your affiliate income?
Here are some great ways you can turn trending search terms into excellent affiliate opportunities:
- Create a gift guide around seasonal trends (Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day) and include affiliate links
- Do a product review or tutorial
- Include affiliate links on a resource or top recommended products page
- Promote your affiliate links on social media
- Add affiliate links in your email newsletter
- Include affiliate links in your digital products
- Place affiliate links in your YouTube content
- Incorporate affiliate links in new and refreshed content
Example: Back to School
Let’s say you have a parenting or craft site. When we look at rising retail categories, we see retail interest increasing for chalkboards and first day of school signs.
To capitalize on these rising retail trends, one idea would be to create a post with affiliate links for the most popular back-to-school signs.
When you have the right data in your hands, there are many affiliate opportunities you can take advantage of so you can maximize your earnings while riding the wave of a trending topic.
4. Ignite your email marketing strategy with trends
Your email list is a great place to have fun with trending content to engage your list and boost traffic to your website.
Here are some fun ways you can include trends in your emails:
- “What’s trending” feature
- Quick start guide, how-to guide, or email series on the trending topic
- Trending products of the week with affiliate links
- Interviews with experts on the trending topic
- Create a fun poll
- Share quick tips, quotes, or memes
- “My favorite things” series
- Video series
One of the best ways to get your readers to open your emails is to get creative with trends and bring some fun to your readers’ inboxes.
5. Turn trends into products and services
Another way to use trends to maximize your revenue is to create products and services for your readers.
Depending on the trend and your audience, here are some product and service ideas you can consider:
- Swipe files
- Photography/stock photos
- Coaching/consulting services
- Exclusive membership site
- Physical products (t-shirts, mugs, home decor, etc.)
Example: Back to School
Let’s go back to the trending retail categories above. We know that in August, parents are looking for back-to-school signs. You can add this information to your content calendar for next year, so you can design a variety of back-to-school signs for parents to purchase for their children’s first day of school photos.
If you haven’t taken advantage of a rising trend, the time is now! By creating new content, reviving old posts, making videos, boosting your affiliate income, and creating new products or services, you’ll be well on your way to increasing your traffic and revenue.